Wednesday 16 November 2011

Stocking fillers.

This is my first post for 'A very vintage christmas'. For those of you who are reading this blog for the first time please see my previous post 'A very vintage christmas'.

I have been thinking about the children's christmas stockings and what to put in them. Nowadays it seems they seem to be filled with more and more, taking away the simplicity and joy a stocking should bring. I was an 80's baby and I always remember having an apple, orange, chocolate money and one small toy. My mum always made sure our stockings reflected the original idea behind them. I remember one year the orange was left out for some reason and it just didn't feel quite the same!.

In war torn Britain it seems the stocking was a crucial part of christmas. I have been reading lots of stories online and they all follow a similar pattern.

The children would wake and check their stocking had been filled, but would always wait for their parents to wake before opening. There would be an orange/apple, a small toy and perhaps some money or even sweets if they were lucky enough. Each story tells of the gratitude and appreciation for these simple gifts left by santa and how it brought light to the dark days of the war.

I am so in love with the idea of this simplistic christmas treat. I have found three vintage knitted stockings, one for each of the children.


For Poppy I have a skipping rope, a 1940's Enid Blyton book then we shall put in an orange, chocolate money and a sugar mouse.




For our twins, Henry and Ted, they each have a penny whistle, small toy car and again an orange, chocolate money and a sugar mouse.




I don't see the need to spend a fortune on filling a stocking when children appreciate simple gifts like this. I know Pops will be desperate to go out on christmas day to learn skip and the twins will be pushing their cars all over the house.

This is why I love the 40's, things were good even in the toughest times. Over the next few weeks I'll be looking more at the 40's and explaining why, for me, was when Britain, its values and citizens were at their best. Even with the turmoil and poverty many people dealt with on a daily basis.
And how to have an extra special christmas =)

Lauren x

No comments:

Post a Comment